Our goal is to give people freedom by giving them mobility.
Our business model is simple:
- We ask Houstonians to donate used bicycles.
- We rely on volunteer mechanics to repair bikes.
- We distribute bikes to people who need a way to work, school or other destinations including refugees, teenagers and veterans emerging from homelessness.
Freewheels Houston was established in 2015 by members of Christ the King Lutheran Church and volunteers from the bicycling community. We became a Texas nonprofit corporation with 501(c)(3) status in 2019.
We have strong partnerships with schools, faith communities, refugee agencies, veterans’ service organizations and bike shops.
- Trek Bikes Houston has donated children’s bikes and helmets as well as parts and safety equipment that help make bikes more reliable and safer to ride.
- With generous support from the Aubrey and Sylvia Farb Community Service Fund at Congregation Emanu El and the HISD Foundation, we provided bikes to 140 students at Wisdom High School.
- We also reach young people through our partnership with PAIR Houston–the Partnership for Advancement & Immersion of Refugees–a nonprofit operating after-school programs for refugees at six Houston schools.
- We have an ongoing program to deliver bikes to Klentzman Intermediate School in Alief ISD. These bikes have been used to incentivize perfect attendance and to reward academic improvement.
- We work with the Veterans Administration, USVets and SEARCH Homeless Services to provide bikes to veterans emerging from homelessness.
- Rice Bikes, a student-run business on the Rice University campus, has provided volunteers, bike repair services and financial support.
Our volunteers come from many parts of the Houston community, brought together because they enjoy working on bikes and providing an important service to members of the community. We appreciate the support of Volunteer Houston, a program of Interfaith Ministries of Greater Houston. Volunteer Houston’s platform helps connect volunteers with opportunities with Freewheels and many other nonprofit organizations.