Working safely is the most important aspect of Freewheels Houston repair days and the key to a productive shift. If you have questions about shop safety at any time, please ask a senior volunteer.
All volunteers are expected to follow these guidelines to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience:
- Follow instructions from senior volunteers.
- Give your full attention to safety briefings presented at the beginning of your shift.
- The First Aid Kit is located on the wall in the front workroom. Please advise a senior volunteer of any injuries.
- If you have any questions about chemicals used in the shop, consult the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) in a binder near the front door.
- The fire extinguisher is located on the wall next to the door from the warehouse to the workrooms.
- Gloves and protective eyewear are recommended.
- Water is available at all times. Please stay hydrated.
- Beware of tripping hazards and slippery floors. Please clean up spills immediately.
- If you see something unsafe, alert a senior volunteer.
- Bikes can be heavy and unwieldy. Please take care when mounting on a repair stand. (A senior volunteer will demonstrate the proper method.)
- Use tools for their intended purposes. If you don’t know how to use a tool, ask for help.
- Two adults must be present when volunteers under 18 years old are participating in Freewheels activities.
- The restrooms are located next door to Freewheels Houston’s space. (As you leave the shop, turn right.) The key is on a blue fob and it is kept on a hook on the metal pegboard in the rear workroom. Please return the key when you return to the shop.
- Before the end of your shift, return tools to their proper their proper location and clean your work area.